Sunday 2 April 2017

Hub-A


What is it?

Over the past couple of months I've been helping a friend of mine from Hull in promoting this crowdfunder 'Hub-A'. It's been a dream of his for a while now, and after finding the perfect location he chose to launch a kickstarter to try and raise enough funds to secure the location for a year and get started on the manual work needed to do the place up. 

Hub-A was a proposed rentable creative studio space for artists (similar to the likes of Duke Studios). As well as an open studio with desk space to rent, there would also be individual offices for local businesses, a screen-printing facility, access to printers, scanners etc as well as a permanent work experience desk (in collaboration with local schools, colleges etc).

What have I done?

I've acted as a confidant in this whole process, as well as linking him up with other potential funding opportunities and contacts. I put him in touch with a few other places to apply for funding as well as the crowdfunder and The Arts Council, and also passed his email onto Patrick's business partner who writes art council bids as part of his day to day job. I've also helped in promoting the idea on social media, all the way from the beginning to end. Though I haven't been directly involved in any of the business side of things (and I don't think I'd want to either, haha) I'd like to think I've been a little helpful throughout the process of this venture.

How has this / will this benefit my practice?

In exchange for my help I was told once the building was secured and decked out I'd be given studio desk space for free, rather than having to pay rent (yay!). This is great for me as I've been looking for studio space in Hull and there's not really anything available. I've never had a real problem working from home, but I think it's nice to have a separation between your work life and home life. My plan from this point is to move home after uni and initially work from a home studio (my brother is also moving out this year which will give me a spare room to use as a 'studio' away from my bedroom). And once Hub-A is ready (aiming for autumn-time this year? I think it'll definitely be more towards the end of this year if this year at all with the work that needs doing haha) I'll move into my studio space there. Whoopie!

No comments:

Post a Comment