Sunday 23 April 2017

Summative Position Statement

This year has taught me a lot about my own practice and how I'm able to work as a professional illustrator. Completing over 12 live briefs since October, and with 6 events/briefs already lined up between now and the start of August, I feel fairly confident that my self-promotion ability is one I've really honed in on this year. This has come through a mixture of face-to-face networking, and full utalisation of my social media and website as a professional.

While the live briefs have taught me so much in regards to dealing with clients, communication, business conduct, finance etc, what they have given me most is a grounding in where my work can sit outside of the education system. I still have an avid interest in music illustration, however live briefs have shown that my reportage work can also be used in a commercial setting.

Leaving this course I'd love to really take the time to get back to making some work for myself. I'd also like to write some of my own briefs so my work can be shown in contexts other than those I've already ventured into (e.g. some packaging work for food is something I've never done). This could aid in showing my work in a way that looks immediately commercial, in turn attracting more clients, so I am able to continue to do the work that really drives my practice.

Overall this year has been primarily about growth and maturing as a professional through simply cracking on and doing the job. I'm eternally grateful for all the live work I've undertaken this year, and for the clients belief in my ability. Moving forward though, I'm excited to carry on this profession as an individual free of academia, and allow myself the time to enjoy drawing for myself again.

No comments:

Post a Comment