Saturday 1 April 2017

TedxHull Live Drawing Event

Cover and insert from TEDxHull event

Before the Event

A couple of months ago, local graphic artist and co-owner of Form print shop, Joe Cox, got in touch with me about doing some live art during the TEDxHull event at the end of March at Hull Truck Theatre. We exchanged emails to discuss the formalities and I agreed to do the event, it's nice to be asked to do local gigs such as this as I love my home city to pieces. 

TEDtalks of course are also well established events, so I felt secure in the level of professionalism of the event. I was also just mega excited in general to get back to doing some live art. It's something I've kind of gotten into by accident, but something I really enjoy doing. I think it also forces me to keep my practice accessible, and makes sure I still have those good old fashioned drawing abilities to hand!!

Before the event Joe also asked me to send over a very brief (about 50 words) summary of my practice. I've been playing around with words for a while to describe my practice short and sweetly and still don't feel as though I'm quite there yet. I sent in;

"Jazz Harbord is a Hull-born artist currently studying in her final year of illustration at Leeds College of Art. She hopes that her work evokes a sense of authenticity, mixed with a DIY approach to image making." 

TEDxHull

The event itself was fantastic! I love live art events as they gives you the chance to interact with the public. Given that I based my work on my teenage years growing up in Hull, it was also nice to see people recognizing the places as I developed the piece.

Whilst there I also met Joe Cox and James Fenwick (other live artist at the event; LINK TO HIS WORK HERE). It was great to speak to James as he's done a few pieces of illustrative work in the music industry. He was really open in discussing how he got the work that he got and where from. He gave me some really great advice on sourcing this kind of work and linked me to a website that could really help with that kind of stuff. Mega props to James!!!

Meeting Joe was also great, being the co-owner of Form (LINK HERE) if I ever thought about selling printed works through another store, Form is one I could consider.

After Thoughts

Really great meeting James, Joe and all the lovely folk at Hull Truck. Would definitely draw at a TEDxHull again (they've done they for quite a few years now I never knew about it??)

This experience also reaffirmed that I really do enjoy meeting people face to face and having a discussion. My networking through Hull got me this job in the first place, and I actually quite enjoy meeting new people outside of my own creative space

Always and forever love Hull xo 

Starting sketch and final image after 6 hours


No comments:

Post a Comment