Saturday 22 April 2017

Sending Emails and Contacting People

List of sent emails

Today I sent off some emails to inquire about work, advice and general feedback. I was really nervous about doing this for a long time, and in a way I felt a little worried that it may be a little late in my PPP module to complete this task. However after taking a step back last night I knew this was something more important than my PPP grade. This was something I should be doing for the progression of my career, and with that in mind I plucked up the courage to send out some emails.

As I said previously, I felt a lot more confident sending out these emails now that I've collated a PDF portfolio. I felt I had something I could attach other than my website that laid out effectively who I am as an illustrator. 

I contacted the following people via email

-SoYoung Magazine
- DIY mag 
- The Skinny
- Under the Radar
- Big Active
- Vice
- i-D

And the following people via their 'contact me' section on their website (didn't provide email contacts);

- The Wire

I got an automated response from The Skinny about how they were unable to give back individual feedback during this time, but if you had a direct interest to contact the emails on their site. I found two relevant email addresses and sent them both the email I had originally addressed to their job email; I am determined to get through to them!!

When composing each email I tried to give an interesting subject title if I was addressing a person and not a job@whatever email. I wanted to give them a sense of personality so it didn't just read as another illustration student taking up their time. I also edited the text of each email to specifically address whoever I was emailing; to again give it more of a personal touch.

I'm unsure who I'll hear back from, but just sending out this first batch of emails has given me a huge boost in confidence to send out some more. I'm also thinking of organising some physical mailers to send out to places like Rough Trade (hard to reach via email) and SoYoung, to grab their attention a little more than just a plain old email.



No comments:

Post a Comment